Maureen Christy N. Rodriguez
Flora M. Herceda
Lucas G. Sabido
Jesus T. Aldave
Carmelo S. Am-is
Apolinario S. Nobleza
Jose V. Salasar
Rosita V. Capili
|Enabling Law||REPUBLIC ACT No. 5412|
|Dialect/s||Cebuano, Ilonngo, Tagalog, Aklanon|
|Ethnic/ Tribal Groups||B’laan|
|Teritorial Boundary||North: Brgy. Tinagacan|
South: Brgy. Lagao
East: Brgy. Conel
West: Brgy. Ligaya
|Distance||9km from city proper|
|Bebiana Farm||Patronal Fiesta/ San Isidro Labrador||May|
|Pioneer||Patronal Fiesta/ Sto. Niño||January|
|Packing 10||Patronal Fiesta/ San Jose||March|
|Labu||Patronal Fiesta/ San Vicente Ferrer||April|
|Purok 6||Patronal Fiesta/ San Isidro Labrador||May|
|Candelaria||Patronal Fiesta/ Cadelaria||February|
|Patronal Fiesta / San Antonio de Padua||June|
|Centro||Patronal Fiesta/ San Roque||August|
|Tocalana||Patronal Fiesta/ Sagrada Corazon||June|
|Marcellen||Patronal Fiesta/ San Miguel||September|
|Gawad Kalinga||Patronal Fiesta/ San Isidro Labrador||May|
History is the life of the people, the events of the beginning and the future. The time of becoming and of changing. Maybe, this is just as natural as breathing, living and dying. But it is not, it reflects the mode of living, the way of living, its improvements and failures and successes. It records important things and points reminding and noting all matters for the future and for the best.
Katangawan was inhabited mostly by B’laans, Muslims and Igorots befor the coming of General Paulino Santos. These tribal people lived along the river banks of Buayan and within the vicinity of Labu.
Katangawan was not its original name. It came from the word “katingaw’, which was derived from the Muslim language “matingaw” which means cool, due to the abundant trees surrounding the area. As the inhabitants remembered, they love to stay on this place. It somehow invites them to feel fresh and satisfied.
Since, the word Katingawan was not easy to pronounce by the Christian settlers, they used to pronounce it as Katangawan, which later on become the official name of the place.
In 1930, the first Christian families headed by Dr. Vicente Managat, Dr. Enrique de Leon and Mr. Vidal Supsup settled in the area. They were asble to work hand in hand with the tribal people in developing the area. Little by little, they somehow made the place ideal to live in.
By 1939, the first batchers of the National Land Settlement Administration (NLSA) headed by late General Paulino Santos arrived. Some settled in Katingawan which became part of Lagao. Sixty two (62) settlers who came with General Paulino Santos were given farmlots. Among the settlers who settled in Katingawan were: Jose del Carmen, Rafael Salvani, Julio Guelos, Cirera, Victoriano Saclot, Inocentes Carinal, Jaime Monteflor, Casuso, Baladiang, Aquilino dela Peña, Antonio and Ildefonso Ramos. Thus, the cultivation of the virgin land began where peanuts and cotton was introduced as their main farm products.
First batchers, the group of thirty, and the pioneers united themselves to create a much effective and favorable atmosphere for them to pursue their lives. Thus, forming a community of equality and sharing.
In November 18, 1951, during the incumbency of Mayor Ireneo Santiago the first primary school was constructed at Sitio Basak through the Bayanihan system of the barrio folks who dreamed of educating their children. The first bayanihan group under the leadership of Lucas Rodolfo work for the construction of the first school building with: Pablo Aban, Domingo Aban, Luis Aban, Isidoro Aguilar, Bernardo Baybayan, Basilio Baybayan, Francisco Erquiza, Salvador Gabayao, Juanito Dandoy, Pedro Fabrigar, Rodrigo Galindo, Ciriaco Guillermo, Honorato Guillermo, Rodrigo Magalit, Nicanor Maurillo, Pablo Erquiza, Vicente Patac, Lucas Rodolfo, Rufino Rodriguez, Celestino Rodriguez, Diosdado Zarandin, Simon Sunio, Francisco Tacata, Narciso de Tomas, Adolfo Vesorio, Rodrigo Vesorio, Nicanor Zaulda, Ricarido Zaulda, Roque Zolina & Manuel Zolina.
By virtue of Resolution No. 182, dated September 17, 1956 under Republic Act 1408 during the incumbency of the late Mayor Pedro Acharon, the place was created as one barrio, retaining its name as Katangawan. It was during this time that the first of Barrio officials was elected. They were Rodrigo Magalit as Barrio Lieutenant, Jose Dela Peña as Vice-Barrio Lieutenant, Rufino Rodriguez, Deogracias Rivera and Juanito Dandoy as Barrio Councilman. The manner of election during this time is “viva voce”. This is done in a place commonly agreed by the group. The officers were to be nominated and voted through raising of hands. The term of office of elected and appointed barangays council members is yearly.
In 1953, Mr. Francisco Noble Erquiza was elected Barrio Lieutenant. It was during his leadership, the Garchitorena family one of the first batchers donated one hectare for the school site located along the national highway. Thereby, making the transfer of school children in the site on the following school year. From then on, the construction school buildings followed. Years later, the Mata family donated another one hectare and Mr. Johnny Ng donated two and one fourth hectare as additional school site. He serve three terms up to 1956.
Sometime in 1955 the first chapel was establishe at Labu: A group of 9 persons initiated the move, they were Roque Zolina, Nicanor Zaulda, Francisco Mediodia, Nicanor Altares, Simon Sunio, Luis Saranillo, Felife Mediodia and Guillermo dela Cruz. The charter officers were: Francisco Mediodia as President, Roque Zolina as Vice-Chairman, Restituta Zolina as Secretary, Nicanor Zaulda as Treasurer and Hepolito Villete as Business Manager.
There were two suggestions as who would be the patron saint. Mr Nicanor Attares suggested St. John de Baptist, on the other hand, Mr. Roque Zolina suggested San Vicente Ferrer. Majority favored San Vicente Ferrer whose feast was celebrated every 5th day of April. From then on, the people yearly celebrates its patronal fiesta.
During this period the area is experiencing a long drought. The farmers have no harvest. Famine was experienced by the people. They are eating “kayos” which are abundant along the river bank of Buayan. The residents were praying for the rain to come.
The officers in their own initiative ask the support of the Diocese of Cotabato in form of food assistance and other relief materials for the residents. The food assistance were rice, oat meal non-fat milk, yellow corn and flour. Some used clothings were also distributed to the sitio folks.
When the chapel construction was completed the first mass was celebrated by Father Jerome Does, C.P.. On this occasion Father Jerome roam around the farm lots and have it bless asking the blessing from God to rain so that the farmers could plant rice and corn for their food. Luckily, their prayers were answered cause few days after the fiesta heavy rain came.
The economic stance of the barrio was not all successful. It 1957 after it rained, another calamity stroke the area. This is the term of Mr. Jose dela Peña as Barrio Lieutenant. This was the locust infestation. All upland and lowland rice fields, corn fields, bananas and coconuts were destroyed. The leaves of the plants were all eaten causing the rice, corn, banana, and coconuts not to bear fruits. After the locust here comes another kind of pest, the rats. Rice, corn, banana, and coconut were infested causing no harvest. The farmers use many strategies just to eradicate rats like digging a hole beside their “camalig” or bodega. To help the farmers, Barrio Lieutenant dela Peña initiated to ask an assistant to the municipal officials headed by mayor Pedro Acharon Sr. Rodenticides were given to farmers in order to minimize rat infestation. Inhabitants experienced the struggle of eradicating them.
Another important event was the visit of President Magsaysay to the National Development Cotton’s inauguration. The president witnessed the problem of the people who were traveling from Katangawan to town and vice versa by using their “Kariton” and carabao, the lack of water supply to drink while on their way. Thus, led the President on the installation of eight units of artisan wheels; four(4) along the national highways and three(3) on del Carmen area. It was installed at one kilometer interval to effectivity serve its purpose.
During President Magsaysay’s visit, Gerry Geronimo accompanied him riding in a truck with his armies wearing his famous beret. Katangaweños were then surprised and delighted of seeing the Idol ng Masa dancing and singing, Mambo, Mambo Magsaysay. The people met the President along theNational Highwaynow in front of Buayan District Office.
In 1958-1964, Mr. Rufino Rodriguez was elected barrio lieutenant. The other barrio officials were Mr. Nicanor Baylon Altares, Mr. Nicomedes Sunio, Mr. Juanito Dandoy, Mr. Jose dela Peña, Francisco Erquiza, and Mr. Nicanor Maurillo as the vice-barrio lieutenants Anacleto Sorilla, Benito Sunio, Orlando Rivera, Rafael de Vera, Pedro Valdez, Europa, Serapin Sunio, Luis Saranillo, Federico Sanchez, Barrio Secretary Mrs. Salome Saclot, barrio Treasurer Mr. Benjamin dela Peña, and during the incumbency of Barrio Lieutenant Rufino Rodriguez, they negotiated from Mr. Ignacio Ignacio Mata to donate an area for the barrio hall site. With open heart and hands voluntarily donated 2,500 square meters for the purpose but it should be at the back portion of his lot. But the barrio officials wanted it to be in the front part facing the national highway cause it is more convenient and accessible for the barrio folks, government officials and other agencies if the barrio hall is along the national highway. The term of office is two years. Peace officers: Dionesio Roquillo, Anstacio Castro, Romeo Vesorio, Edilberto dela Cruz.
In 1980, the barrio officials constructed the barrio hall in the front part of Mr. Ignacio Mata. At this time the donor withdraw his donation, instead he donated the floor area for the Barangay Hall with an area of sixty four(64) square meters where the barangay hall was constructed. Later Mr. Mata sold the five thirty one square meters to the barrio council.
In 1956-1957 the opening of the national highway by Allado Logging Corporation. Six years after, 1962 the gravelling of the national highway by the Department of Public Works and Highways. This also marks the opening of the first business establishment in Katangawan, the Bibiana Swine Farm owned and managed Mr. Johnny Ang. They engaged in swine and feed milling.
In 1964, the name barrio lieutenant was change to barrio captain The first elected Bario Captain was Hon. Agustin D. Narciso while Hon. Juanito V. Dandoy, Orlando S. Rivera, Benito I. Sunio, Benjamin Dela Peña, Anaclito Sorella, and Agustin Silva were the barrio councilman respectively. During his incumbency he subdivided his two hectares of land and was sold to the barrio residents and now part of Purok 7. Barrio Capatain Narciso also donated more or less 800 square meters for the basketball court. This also the time that the Labu farm road from the National highway to Oliverio farm was opened and barrio councilman Benito I. Sunio initiated the work.
In 1968 elections a new set of barrio officials were elected. They were Hon. Benito I. Sunio as Barrio Captain, Hon. Orlando Rivera, Benjamin Dela Peña, Riocardo Rodriguez, Fausto Niñonuevo, Eleoterio Bautista and Lucas Rodulfo as barrio Councilman, while Serafin Sunio was appointed Secretary and Bernardo Zaulda was appointed treasurer. They were to serve until 1972.
In this administration, one impressive event for barrio folks especially for students was the opening of the Secondary Education. But a prerequisite in order to pursue the project wereSchoolBuildingand salary of teachers. Through the effort of Barrio Captain Sunio he was able to top the owner of one among biggest and largest Swine Farm in the locality, Mr. Carlos Lim to donate aSchoolBuilding. The Barrio folks was tehn very lucky to have a philanthropist for the continuity of education for the incoming generations. Te building was constructed on land donated by the Garchitorena family, a part of the elementary site. On the other hand the salary of teachers were taken partly from the parents and out Barangay Funds.
It was also on this year, 1968 the Standard Fruit Corporation and Checkered Farms started their Banana plantation project at Barangay Katangawan. They were able to expand their project to more or less 300 hectares. The presence of this company helped much the barrio folks in terms of employment. This also marked an abrupt economic development cause the residents were not only dependent on corn, rice and coconut production.
Mid-year of 1972 comes another Barrio election and barrio Captain Benito I. Sunio was defeated. Another new sets of Barrio officials was elected. Mr. Luis Garchitorena was elected Barangay Captain, Mr. Orlando Rivera, Benjamin Dela Peña, Ricardo Rodriguez, Lucas Rodulfo, Eleoterio Bautista, and Anacleto Sorilla as councilman respectively. Mrs. Dolores Garchitorena was appointed secretary and Mr. Mediodia as Treasurer.
In 1970 Blackshirt Ilaga conflict starts and became worst in 1972 where the Labu areas were vacated by residents especially women and children. The peace and order situation was unstable that causes the closure ofKatangawanHigh School. Anent to this, the Barangay government lacks funds to suffice the salary of teachers.
In 1980, at the end of this administration marks the termination of contract of Standard Fruit Corporation were many residents became jobless. Some lot owners converted to corn and vegetables productions, others to poultry and backyard piggery projects.
After the declaration of Martial law, sometime in September 1972 a major revamp were made on municipality and City officials that led to the appointment of Barangay Captain Luis Garchitorena as City Councilor to chaired the committee on Sports of the Sangguniang Panglungsod.
½ of the Katangawan area was under the NDC (National Development Corporation, PCDC Phil. Cotton Development Corporation.)
Other InformationMajor Dialects: Cebuano, Ilonggo, Tagalog, Aklanon
Ethnic/Tribal Groups: B’laan
Topography/Terrain Characteristics: Plain
North: Brgy. TinagacanEast: ConelSouth: Brgy. LagaoWest: LigayaDistance from city proper: 9 km
HERCEDA, REMIE RIVERABARANGAY KAGAWAD
ALCARDE, RENE CELESTIAL GENTOBA, BERNARDO PAMA RODRIGUEZ, MAUREEN CHRISTY NAVAL CABSABAN, EDITHA CHAVEZ SABIDO, LUCAS GABIN NOBLEZA, APOLINARIO JR. SALAZAR JORDAN, WILSON SR. ORCAJADASK CHAIRMAN
BARREZA, PERLYN ROSE B.PUROK FIESTA AND BARANGAY ANNIVERSARY
AddressActivityDateBarangayFoundation AnniversaryNov.17,1956Bebiana FarmPatronal Fiesta/ San Isidro LabradorMayPioneerPatronal Fiesta/ Sto. NiñoJanuaryPacking 10Patronal Fiesta/ San JoseMarchLabuPatronal Fiesta/ San Vicente FerrerAprilPurok 6Patronal Fiesta/ San Isidro LabradorMayCandelariaPatronal Fiesta/ CadelariaFebruary Patronal Fiesta / San Antonio de PaduaJuneCentroPatronal Fiesta/ San RoqueAugustTocalanaPatronal Fiesta/ Sagrada CorazonJuneMarcellenPatronal Fiesta/ San MiguelSeptemberGawad KalingaPatronal Fiesta/ San Isidro LabradorMay